New players: tips, questions and answers

Guides and tips. A place for questions and answers.

New players: tips, questions and answers

Postby Ronnet » Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:20 am

In this thread tips will be posted for players starting out. I'll start off with some:

1) Equip your best equipment to your character itself. All bonuses and stats from there will automatically apply to every sworn sword you have.

2) Aid, Harass, and Fight are all battle actions and everything affecting Battle affects all of them. Similarly, Barter, Swindle and Bribe are all Trade actions, and Spy, Sabotage, and Steal are all Intrigue actions. The game will be easier if you concentrate on either Battle, Trade, or Intrigue and don't spread yourself out too much.

3) Whenever you are in dire need of silver, your best bet is to barter others - either send them yourself, or request for others to send some your way. Bartering someone counts as an "attack", but it gives both sides free silver without actually harming anyone.

(4) Whenever you are in dire need of resources, get some sworn swords out adventuring! Sending 5 sworn swords twice on a 20 minute adventure where resources drop often has much better results than crafting one resource twice yourself (takes the same time). For an overview of which adventures drop what resources, you can check this wiki page here.

(5) Invest in cheap sworn swords. The more SS you have, the more you can send out questing and adventuring and bartering. They will earn back what you spent on them pretty quickly. Also, if you garrison your sworn swords and some die, these are much cheaper to replace than the rare ones.

(6) You can speed up almost all timers in game for free once you have 5 minutes or less remaining. This can be very useful for things such as resource crafting in the Village Hall.

(7) When viewing your list of equipment or inventory, it can be scrolled with the small "NEXT" and "PREV" arrows just below it.

(8) Every 7 days of playing gets you free gold - the same gold that is also sold in the shop. The amount of weekly gold is a random number between 2 and 5.

(9) When you see someone "attacking" you, you can mostly just ignore it. Clicking on the "call for help" button is usually a waste of your own silver. However, if someone is repeatedly causing your problems and stealing your silver, do let us know :twisted:

(10) You can actually run all volumes of quests at the same time and can always switch between volumes with the volume selector. However, later volume quests can spoil what happens in earlier ones.

(11) If you missed picking up a reward or bonus reward from some chapter, you can always go back to it to pick it up. To do so, open your Lorebook and use the "previous" and "next" arrows to move between chapters.

(12) Check the forum often for useful info.
Ronnet Connington, Officer
Click to add me as a friend in game
Ronnet
Warden of the Forum

In Game Name: Ronnet Connington
Fealty: House Stark
Alliance: Song of Ravens

Get Valyrian Steel Dagger early on

Postby Jay Leon » Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:07 am

I just came across this neat trick on the disruptor beam forums which is very useful for new players.

As soon as you hit 90% alignment, skip to volume II and hit the "previous" or "back" button.

This will allow you to access the Epilogue of volume I, where you can claim the permanent item Valyrian Steel Dagger, which will make things easier on you early on.
ImageImage

As you can see in this last image, I'm not even done with chapter 10, yet I already claimed the dagger:
Add me as friend in-game
Jay Leon
Hedge Knight

In Game Name: Mike Rotch
Fealty: House Lannister
Alliance:

Question Re: Valyrian Steel Dagger

Postby Desmera Longbough » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:53 am

Jay, I just claimed this myself. Did you add it to a sworn sword's equipment or to your own player gear? Just curious about strategy.
~Desmera Longbough
Quick link to friend me: http://gota-www.disruptorbeam.com/play/friend_request/1244036
Caw!
Desmera Longbough
Lord or Lady Paramount

In Game Name: Desmera Longbough
Fealty: House Tyrell

Re: Get Valyrian Steel Dagger early on

Postby Beto » Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:12 pm

I suppose this cannot be used to get to the reincarnation cycle earlier...
Beto
Squire

In Game Name: Apollo Calrissian
Alliance:

Re: Question Re: Valyrian Steel Dagger

Postby Jay Leon » Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:27 pm

Desmera Longbough wrote:Jay, I just claimed this myself. Did you add it to a sworn sword's equipment or to your own player gear? Just curious about strategy.

Since I have the obsidian dagger from my previous reincarnation, I equipped the valyrian steel dagger on a SS, but you should always equip your best gear on yourself. :D/
Add me as friend in-game
Jay Leon
Hedge Knight

Alliance:

Re: Get Valyrian Steel Dagger early on

Postby Jay Leon » Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:28 pm

Beto wrote:I suppose this cannot be used to get to the reincarnation cycle earlier...

I'm afraid not [-(
Add me as friend in-game
Jay Leon
Hedge Knight

Alliance:

Weapon creation

Postby Joseph Snow » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:27 am

I have a question about creating items. It's probably a dumb question, but I'll ask anyway. :D

I'm making a hefty broadsword to go towards making another Masterwork Greatsword. The hefty broadsword takes 2 broadswords. Does it improve my chances of getting a higher quality hefty broadsword if I add seals to the broadswords? One of the two broadswords was a higher quality item already, but I added the uncommon Ironsmith seal to it and I added the symbol of help to the plain broadsword. Does this help my chances of making a better hefty broadsword, or am I wasting seals?
Joseph Snow
Warden

In Game Name: Joseph Snow
Alliance: Pyrate Dragon Kings

Re: Weapon creation

Postby Ronnet » Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:01 am

I haven't thought of that, but generally I am hesitant to put seals into intermediate products myself.
Ronnet
Warden of the Forum

spoils

Postby Dennet » Sun May 04, 2014 2:04 am

I've earned a couple. What do I do with them? I've found nothing on the GOTA wiki.
Dennet
Warden

In Game Name: Dennet Fossoway
Fealty: House Targaryen
Alliance: Raven Knights

Re: spoils

Postby Ronnet » Sun May 04, 2014 2:42 am

There are 3 uses for spoils:

1) Donate to camp upgrades
    2) Craft into other types of spoils in the Alchemist's Guild after the phase ends
    3) Donate to the challenges

Option (2) may look pointless at first but it can also be really useful because it lets us prepare for the next phase ahead.
Ronnet
Warden of the Forum

Next

Return to Maesters of the Citadel